3.07.2010

Halfway...

     I honestly can hardly believe that we’ve been in Costa Rica for two months. In some ways, it feels like we’ve been here for much less time, probably because I have just recently truly settled in and now finally have a grasp on the way of life here, and really understand most of the Spanish I hear in daily conversation. In other ways, I feel like I’ve been here my entire life. I absolutely love Puntarenas and everyone in it, even the creepy old men who cat call me. Don’t get me wrong, New Hampshire is my home and I love it dearly, like an old friend. But I’m IN love with Costa Rica. It’s so beautiful and tranquilo, and I feel so at home here. We’re exactly halfway through our stay here, and I already absolutely dread leaving because I know I’ll cry for the entire duration of our flight home. A friend of mine here put it well when he said that when he leaves, he’ll just be counting the days until he can come back. I’m going to miss my family and new friends and the city and the food and the beach and the weather and USAC and everything so much. I can’t imagine how the students who have been here since August will feel when they have to leave. Honestly, I wish I’d been here since August, too. Considering the fact that I chose this program last April, I very well could have (and should have) applied to be a year-long student. Last semester didn’t seem so bad at the time, I guess…but now, looking back on it, I know I would have been worlds happier here. Oh, well. I can’t dwell on that any more. For the time being, for the next two months (exactly), I plan to continue to try and live each moment I have in Costa Rica to its fullest. I’ve seen so many amazing places and met so many awesome people and improved my Spanish a lot and done so many fun things already, but there is so, so much more to see and do and learn. My goal is to not look back and feel that I missed out on something Costa Rican while I was here. So, I’ve got lots to cover in the next two months. :) Hasta luego!


2 comments:

Kate said...

very well said, bbq! beautifully written. i feel the same, it's going to be so hard to leave! but, we still have an entire HALF to do awesome stuff!

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.